Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Stronger than you think
0 Members Browsing (70 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Stronger than you think  (currently 2,006 views)
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 1st, 2015, 13:33:43 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

After all these years, I have discovered the Mini Marcos is far stronger as a rally car than I ever thought.

For various reasons I'd not done a rally for over 4 years, and I'm no longer any spring chicken.So a couple of months ago I decided time to do a bit more or give up.I've always gone for the smoother tarmac events on the calendar on the basis that I believed a mini marcos would not stand up well to the rough stuff. But the only event practical that both myself and co driver could do before September was the Flying Fortress Stages in Grafton Underwood, known to be rough and including some gravel sections. But didn't fancy a wait until September, I could see another year disappearing if I did that, and Grafton Underwood is reasonably close ......

So Sunday saw us lined up at the start in moderate rain with the windscreen all steamed up!. It was VERY rough, big bumps, huge pot holes and trenches across the road, and also very loose and slippery. I could wipe the mist away on my side but Simon in the co driver's seat can't reach that far so he was calling blind most of the time and left hand corners were interesting to say the least. Well that and a long break is my excuse for a rubbish time on stage 1  

But with a clearer windscreen from stage 2 onwards an the feel coming back a bit, times did start to improve. Although well outside my normal experience with the MM, I found it great fun, particularly the very narrow slippery sections through the trees. But on stage 3 we slid wide a bit, only a couple of feet, but it put us into the rough and we hit something hard with the left front wheel. Up into the air, before landing back on the track. The crew of a following car reckoned the back of the car went 5 feet into the air! But back on track after a couple of exploratory twists of the steering wheel and a precautionary bit of breaking, all seemed ok so we pressed on.

On return to service I was expecting to see a badly damaged wheel, and bent suspension. But on close inspection, nothing no damage at all, even the tyre wasn't damaged. We continued and the car even seemed fairly happy on the quite extensive gravel sections of SS5 & 6. But on about a quarter of the way into Stage 6, I miss judged my breaking at one corner in the forest, off the road, over stumps and boulders to be sat the with engine running, but front wheels spinning freely in mid-air. I thought that was our rally over, but by heroic efforts of the marshals they managed to drag the car until the front wheels gained grip, then a bit more pushing, heaving and bumping and we were back on track. Again all seemed Ok so pressed on at full tilt to the end of the stage, although late enough to get a stage maximum. Back in service I couldn't believe it, a bit of damage to the front spoiler of no real consequence and that was it. Loads of crews round, astonished we had been even able to drive to the finish, and even more astonished when they saw how little damage had been done

So on to stage 7. Got in the car to go to the start of stage 7 and found the brakes locked on, they had been fine 5 mins earlier. The servo is located on the centre tunnel under the heater with the air valve on the driver's side not far from the clutch. Although never a problem before I had somehow managed to knock off the top of the air valve. I could release the brakes but the instant the engine was turned on they locked again. With a bit of time we could have bypassed or disconnected the servo, but we were now past due time at the stage so reluctantly had to call it a day.

But the MM stood up to the rough stuff far, far better than I ever imagined, I assume due to its light weight and low inertia. The full forests of Wales next time perhaps ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
mike brown
Posted on: July 1st, 2015, 16:48:28 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Many years ago at a castle combe action day I crashed my girlfriend's mk5 into quarry tyre wall at a rapid rate of knots. The car suffered a broken light, it split the floorpan from one side to the other behind the seats and covered the back end in tyre marks (we went in backwards). I drove it home and repaired it on the Sunday and she drove it to work on Monday with almost no sign of the accident.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Allan Brown
Posted on: July 11th, 2015, 07:08:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Hi Jim, nice to hear you are still rallying the Marcos. My plans to convert mine to rally spec have been put on hold for the moment. We are rallying our 205 over Epynt, Wales this year. We got fed up with braking driveshafts and bottom arms on the pothole covered single venues in the south of England, so we decided to spend a bit more on entry fees and do the fast, smooth flowing roads of Epynt. It is the best rallying I have ever done. We are doing the Harry Flatters rally in 2 weeks time, then Mewla at the end of August.
Jim have you ever done a tarmac rally over Epynt? It would be great if you could do Mewla.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 12th, 2015, 22:12:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Allan,

Only ever did Epynt as a co-driver in a fiat 1300! many, many years ago. My memory is smooth but lots of 90's rather than flowing, then again it was long ago and I wasn't driving. You certainly must like it doing two lots of Epynt in a month.
Co-driver is tied up throughout August so thinking of Wethersfield or Vale of York in September.
The plan is to do 3 this year, and see how it goes, then decide if I wan't to continue or sell the car.
I've got to give up sometime, but don't like the idea of growing old gracefuly. I certainly enjoyed Grafton Underwood, even if my reactions aren't what they were, if the other 2 are as good then the sale might be delayed!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 12th, 2015, 22:36:07 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Also links to a couple of pictures on the day.

http://www.jagimages.co.uk/flyingfortressstages2015/h4d2240e9#h4d2240e9

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.866100693427569.1073741883.476283859075923&type=3
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 11
mike brown
Posted on: July 13th, 2015, 15:57:19 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

You need to log in for the facebook pics which I can't do as I'm not on Facebook. The other pic looks good though.
Mike
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 14th, 2015, 12:36:03 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Odd that, I can view them without loging in. Nothing is ever simple!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
admin
Posted on: July 14th, 2015, 20:21:19 Quote Report to Moderator

So can I.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
Bent Larsen
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 06:15:52 Quote Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Works for me  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
Joost van Dien
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 09:43:41 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Drive it as much as possible!

Very nice! I love the fact that it gets used hard! Good luck with the next rally.
Logged Offline
Private Message MSN Reply: 9 - 11
Allan Brown
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 14:56:10 Quote Report to Moderator

Jim if you ever need a co-driver and can take a 6' 4" passenger give me a shout. Allan
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
jimnaylor
Posted on: July 15th, 2015, 22:09:54 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

6' 4" that would be quite a squeeze! But my old co-driver was 6' 2" and had more headroom than me, but all his height was in his legs, so rather depends on your build. Simon the current one is only about 5' 7" so fits in easy. Happy for you to try if Simon can't make it.

How do you fit in yours? As you were preparing a MM for rallying I assume you did some tests. My seats are as low as is physically possible for an FIA seat (I've even lowered the floor) but I've had to add foam to the roof to stop scratching my helmet and I'm only 5' 10"! If you are ever near Hitchin let me know and we can see if you fit!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules