Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Mini Marcos lower front panel mould or new doors
0 Members Browsing (34 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Mini Marcos lower front panel mould or new doors  (currently 1,615 views)
simon5666
Posted on: August 8th, 2014, 19:13:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I'm now the new owner of Mini Marcos 8080 but it needs some bodywork repairs , the lower front has been hit and needs a proper repair , does anyone have the mould for the lower front of a Mini Marcos IV , also i'm quite worried that my one door doesn't hang right , I can foresee if I try to take it off it will be a nightmare to get back on. I don't know what to do about this , whether there has been damage in the past to them and have been mounted incorrectly or the hinges maybe need a repair kit but I think the position of the drivers door is so on the wonk it can't just be that the hinges are worn. Maybe I should get some new doors , does anyone have the moulds for the doors and some sort of tenplate where the hinges should be mounted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
admin
Posted on: August 8th, 2014, 22:54:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

I would have thought you could restore the original shape by cutting off the air scoop along a line from the bottom at the back to the point just below the number plate, then glassing in the flat part of the panel at the correct angle. I don't know of anyone who has a mould apart from Marcos Heritage who would probably make you a new radiator box for a fee.

The doors can be a pain to remove if the hinge studs are rusted up. At least on a Mk.IV they are all inside the car or inside the door so should come undone with a little Plus Gas or WD40. If a stud shears off then you may need to get some new hinges which you'd need anyway if you got some new doors. The doors don't look too bad so I'd stick with them.

All four hinges are different so note the casting numbers when you take them off. 1&2, 3&4 top; 1&2, 7&8 right hand side.

Beware! I bought a new hinge from Somerford and found that not only the studs were smaller than standard (probably metric) but also the holes were drilled at an angle which was not at right angles to the hinge face.
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
simon5666
Posted on: August 9th, 2014, 22:18:50 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for the advice. I've tried looking at the Mk4 photos on the website and I can't see one that looks like my lower front. I do wonder how expensive to get someone who knows what there doing to fix up the bodywork. As I talked it through with the Wife what how i'm going to do it ( ' I'm going to cut this off and repair it like this and i'm going to take off the doors and repair and rehang them' ) and I can see the doubt and worry in her eyes .... I don't think she has any faith in my ability to actually achieve it or not make an incredible mess doing (trying*) so. Just out of curiosity is there anyone who knows of a trusted garage/ bodywork shop near Gloucester just in case.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
John Dickens
Posted on: August 10th, 2014, 08:18:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Whereabouts are you?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Goff_Allen
Posted on: August 10th, 2014, 08:35:38 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Simon
Look under greasy bits , mike brown in Southampton repaired a Marcos for a member a few weeks ago, looks like you are around Gloucester so not to far
Goff
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
simon5666
Posted on: August 10th, 2014, 15:52:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Gloucester
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
John Dickens
Posted on: August 10th, 2014, 20:49:27 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Unfortunately I'm at the other end of the country so I can't help you with this.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Allan Brown
Posted on: August 16th, 2014, 07:08:35 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Mike is on holiday at the moment. But I am sure he will be able to help when he gets back.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules