Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Keeping registration of Donor mini
0 Members Browsing (60 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Keeping registration of Donor mini  (currently 1,569 views)
Jack_McConchie
Posted on: December 27th, 2012, 23:27:02 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Greetings!

I've been kindly donated a '98 MPi mini with a valuable registration plate by a dear friend of mine.

It's been sitting idle for 10 years or so and is pretty rusty but has done a paltry 15,000 miles.

The condition of it's donation to me is that I give the registration plate to it's previous owner. For that to happen it would need an MOT and it's a long way off that!

I'd like to build something suitable for hillclimbing and given the condition of the mini shell I started to ponder a Marcos kit.

As far as I'm aware the DVLA stipulate that if the chassis of the vehicle is changed the registration cannot be kept. If so, would it be impossible to build a Marcos with the donor, MOT it and transfer the plate?

Logged Offline
Private Message
admin
Posted on: December 28th, 2012, 00:13:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Team Member Administrator

Hi Jack, Welcome to the forum!

You can keep the donor registration provided you can show that you have used sufficient parts from that one vehicle. There's a points system - you can get a leaflet from DVLA that explains it. But beware, the engine is only worth 1 point and you need 26. suspension and other bits are worth a lot more points. Don't dispose of the old shell until you've got the registration sorted out.

You will need to put the completed kit through the IVA test, but that's been done for two or three kits now and you should be able to get some tips on this forum.

After you get the car on the road, as long as it hasn't got a non-transferable Q-plate you should be able to transfer the plate to another car. If you join the club the Secretary can advise you on registration matters.

Last modified December 28th, 2012, 00:14:37 by admin
Logged Offline
  Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Jack_McConchie
Posted on: July 9th, 2013, 22:53:30 Quote Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Could someone point me towards the correct points system? The references that I have come across seem to stipulate the original chassis must be used..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Simon Robinson
Posted on: July 10th, 2013, 07:56:20 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

The details are here:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kit-cars-and-rebuilds

I've read it through several times, and I'm still not sure how you go about keeping the registration for a kit car! May be worth emailing the DVLA with what you want to do, and see what they say.

D&H Mk IV 8313, KGV 215V (aka George) - 75,000 miles and counting since restoration in 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Brian
Posted on: July 10th, 2013, 17:02:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I didn't read that doc yet, however re: the keeping the reg for a kit car...I know that it's quite different here, but in California, I believe I'd have 3 options:
* Build a kit car. It is registered as present year (2013) Mini Marcos, but has certain leeways in terms of emission tests, etc.
* Restore an old Mini. In this case, you take the drivetrain out of the mini, and "reshell" it with the marcos body. In this case, it would be registered as a mini, with the original car's year.
* if it's an old kit, that has been previously registered, and you have proof, then you could bring it back to current with some paperwork.

In short, there may be a difference between kit car build and restoration there, too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules