Home Forum Help Calendar Search Register Login
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Mini Marcos Forum  >  General Boards  >  Mini Marcos  >  Overheating on idle
0 Members Browsing (43 Guests)
Currently No Active Members

Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print
  Author    Overheating on idle  (currently 1,441 views)
Simon Robinson
Posted on: March 19th, 2012, 10:19:26 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

The MM broke down on me a couple of weeks ago - the clutch went and I had to get the AA out to recover the car. It was towed to a garage recommended by the AA driver, and after a week or so the car was back on the road.

To replace the clutch they said they needed to drop the engine out (which I knew was a lie, as we'd changed the clutch before without doing this, but I had no choice this time). They disconnected the water hoses and refilled the system afterwards.

Now I find the car overheats after a run, but only when idling. I drove to Worcester and back yesterday without any problems as I wasn't stuck in traffic at all. This morning driving to work I was stuck and the needle went all the way up, I got to work and waited at the bottom of the drive for a minute or two and the same thing happened.

Hopefully this is just air in the system, and it'll clear once it has worked through. However, is there a chance they've damaged my water pump or something else when working on it?

If it's their fault, and it's something more serious, do I have any legal rights in terms of getting the garage to repair it free of charge? Having paid a good deal of money to them, I'm not too keen on paying out any more to someone to fix another problem.

D&H Mk IV 8313, KGV 215V (aka George) - 75,000 miles and counting since restoration in 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Neil KilBane
Posted on: March 19th, 2012, 10:40:58 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Front or side mounted rad ?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Simon Robinson
Posted on: March 19th, 2012, 11:36:56 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Front mounted. The expansion tank is rather annoyingly positioned so it's not really the highest point - I've been meaning to move things around but never seem to find the time!

D&H Mk IV 8313, KGV 215V (aka George) - 75,000 miles and counting since restoration in 2011.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Neil KilBane
Posted on: March 19th, 2012, 12:26:32 Quote Report to Moderator
Maximum Member2

just a little fine tuning left to do.

Try filling the system through the top hose of the thermostat housing.

Sounds very much like too little water in the system, and if it isn't reaching the water pump then there is no circulation.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Simon Robinson
Posted on: March 19th, 2012, 12:39:51 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

I thought it was something similar Neil, hoping for the simple solution! I'll try topping up through the top hose, hopefully it'll release any air from the pipes. I have done this in the past (when the alternator belt broke and the water ran low) but tried it over the weekend and it didn't help. Perhaps there's more air still working through.

I've also had suggested to me that I should run the car with the expansion tank cap off, and raise it above the top hose, so any air can work its way through the system.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
Simon Robinson
Posted on: March 19th, 2012, 18:52:37 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Topping up seemed to do the trick, got me home OK without boiling over.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Nigel_Holmes
Posted on: March 22nd, 2012, 20:22:05 Quote Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Simon - the expansion tank does not need to be located at the highest point. If you use the Metro type top thermostat housing which has a small take-off pipe at the highest point this can connect to an expansion tank situated below this level. When the water expands it goes into the tank, when it cools it gets sucked back in from the tank.

Hope this helps.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
Simon Robinson
Posted on: March 22nd, 2012, 21:13:29 Quote Report to Moderator
Big Member

Thanks Nigel, the thermostat housing hasn't got a take-off pipe, so there tends to be a bit of a surge once the engine stops and the expansion tank overflows. However, now it's been bled of air there is around half the tank filled with water and no more overflowing. It's stable enough as long as you remember to get the air out of the radiator befoer driving too far...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
Pages: 1 Reply Recommend Print

New Thread Mini Marcos Forum  >  Mini Marcos  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Forum Rules